Our Foundational Beliefs
We believe that:
- we are all agents of change, young and old
- every member of our community matters
- what we do today, determines our tomorrow
- challenge and struggle are required for growth
- great cognitive growth occurs through social interaction
- how we work together is as important as what we accomplish
- we must understand a situation and act in context with norms not rules
- working in service of children and families is noble and important global work
Habits of Community Stewardship
“As members of the Mundo Verde community, we all strive to embody and practice…”:
- Empathy : No one sees it the same as another, but we have our hearts and eyes open for different ways to see a person or situation. We can attempt to see as if through another person’s eyes. Empathy is respect for self, others and the world around us. When we act in a caring way for someone or something else we experience love and joy. Empathy is to remember the word ‘ubuntu’ - I am because you are; my humanity is tied to yours. Empathy promotes fairness and justice toward others. Empathy does not assume that our challenges are the same, but that we can all have what we need in an environment of respect and equity and that we are willing to advocate for our own needs and the needs of others.
- Speak Your Truth : One must be able to speak their truth in a learning community. Growth is born of being able to bravely face our current reality and express our vision and desires for what is possible. We can say respectfully what we think and feel knowing that others will receive it respectfully.
- Perseverance : To persevere is to try, and try again. It is to work and revise until we are pleased with the quality of our effort and the craftsmanship of our work. Nothing is perfect, but we learn from our mistakes and never give up on one another or ourselves. When we work harder we get smarter.
- Inquiry : We dare to ask why, how, and how do we know? It is the risk taken when one admits not knowing, and the engine of wonder and curiosity that supports true exploration
- Collaboration : Together we accomplish more than any one of us alone. The diversity of our voices and perspectives combine to create something richer than any one individual. All students belong to all of us. The support, caring, and learning of all members of Mundo Verde are in all our hands.
- Appreciation : Appreciation is a way of taking time to notice our pleasure with ourselves, one another, and the world around us. Always there is someone to be acknowledged, or something to be recognized, for we are learners with something new to share and treasure. Appreciation creates joy. Joy is the way in which we make happiness present in all the work we do. To make joy present is to create a warm, fun and healthy place for the Mundo Family to learn, love, and grow.
"Imagine an environmentally friendly school, focused on teaching sustainability and environmental stewardship in a bilingual environment that nurtures the curiosity and endless potential for the leader of tomorrow. I'm delighted to say that this school exists and I'm blessed to be able to send my children there everyday."
Lynn Fischer Fox, parent to students in 3rd and 4th grades.
In accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (“Title VI”), Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (“Title IX”), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (“Section 504”), Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (“ADA”), and the Age Discrimination Act of 1975 (“The Age Act”), applicants for admission and employment, students, parents, employees, sources of referral of applicants for admission and employment, and all unions or professional organizations holding collective bargaining or professional agreements with Mundo Verde PCS are hereby notified that Mundo Verde PCS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability in admission or access to, or treatment or employment in, its programs and activities.