As you search for the school that is right for your child and family, we invite you to explore this website to learn about how Mundo Verde teaches biliteracy and sustainability using an expeditionary learning model and the Responsive Classroom approach. Thank you for your interest and for investing time in getting to know our school.
As a D.C. public charter school, Mundo Verde is free and open to all D.C. residents. Mundo Verde participates in the My School DC common application and lottery. Please visit www.myschooldc.org to get detailed information about the lottery process and to complete your application once it is available.
Important dates to keep in mind if you have applied for the 2018-2019 lottery:
March 30, 2018: Lottery results are released
May 1, 2018: Enrollment Deadline
The next set of information sessions will occur in the winter and will be announced in the fall of 2018.
Mundo Verde plans to open a second campus next fall launching with PK3, PK4, kindergarten and possibly first grade. When the My School DC application becomes available in December 2018, families will be able to apply to both campuses. The second campus will be located at 4401 8th St. NE. Families that are offered enrollment at the new campus in March 2019 would likely get to tour the building that spring. All enrollment requirements during the spring of 2019 will be handled at 30 P St. NW.
application guidelines 2019-20
You may apply to Mundo Verde for the 2019-2020 school year if your child meets the age eligibility guidelines as follows. Families must also prove DC residency to complete enrollment upon admission.
PreK-3: applicants must turn 3 on or before September 30, 2019
PreK-4: applicants must turn 4 on or before September 30, 2019
Kindergarten: applicants must turn 5 on or before September 30, 2019
1st-5th grade: applicants must have successfully completed the previous grade
Mundo Verde grants preference to specific populations in the following hierarchy:
- Mundo Verde Founders
- Children of Mundo Verde staff
- Siblings of students enrolled at Mundo Verde
- Siblings of students matched to Mundo Verde through lottery
- Children of DC International staff
- Siblings of students enrolled at DC International
- Siblings of students matched with DC International through the lottery
The number of students admitted with Founders preference may not exceed 10% of the total student population, or 20, whichever is lower. The number of students admitted with children of Mundo Verde staff preference must not exceed 10% of the total student population. The number of students admitted with children of DCI staff preference must not exceed the difference between 10% of the total student population and recipients of Mundo Verde children of staff preference. If the number of applicants qualifying for any preference exceeds these limits, the preference will be randomly assigned to the appropriate number of students by Mundo Verde, prior to the lottery.
If the circumstances qualifying an applicant for lottery preference change prior to the OSSE enrollment certification date of the school year, the student’s preference will be revoked and the student will be placed on the waiting list according to their original lottery number. This applies when an applicant is matched to MVPCS with sibling preference and their enrolled sibling withdraws from Mundo Verde PCS/DCI prior to the OSSE enrollment certification date, and when an applicant is matched to Mundo Verde with children of staff preference and their parent/guardian leaves Mundo Verde / DCI prior to the OSSE enrollment certification date. If the student has already started attending school, the family may petition the Executive Director to remain enrolled.
continuing language education in middle and high school - dc international school
- Rising 6th grade Mundo Verde students can receive preference for enrollment at DC International School as transfer students to continue their inquiry based language immersion education for 6th-12th grades. This eligibility for a transfer preference is one time only - at the point of successful graduation from Mundo Verde’s 5th grade, students are eligible to apply for a transfer. Mundo Verde is currently allotted 80 transfer spots at DCI. In 2025, Mundo Verde will for the first time have two campuses graduating 5th graders and we expect to have over 80 rising 6th graders interested in enrolling at DC International.
- All Mundo Verde 5th grade students will continue to be eligible for a transfer preference.
- If there are more than 80 students interested in transferring to DC International, the spaces will be lotteried among the Mundo Verde students with preference (still using MySchoolDC platform).
- We estimate having 130 5th grade graduates interested in 80 spaces - resulting in a 60 percent chance of being offered a space at DC International.
- Mundo Verde will work to support families in their student’s transition to a quality middle school by:
- Identifying other quality schools which may be good fits for Mundo Verde students
- Providing families in advance information about the process of applying to middle schools other than DCI
- Continuing to focus on preparing students for their transition to middle school generally
- Working with DCI to seek a solution that will allow all Mundo Verde graduates who desire it access to DCI
- Do you have a rising 6th-9th grader?
- Learn more about inquiry-based language immersion education in middle and high school at District of Columbia International School (DCI) at www.dcinternationalschool.org.
- Siblings of students enrolled at or matched with Mundo Verde receive a sibling preference at DCI for 6th - 9th grade enrollment.
Please contact us at (202) 750-7060 or firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
In accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (“Title VI”), Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (“Title IX”), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (“Section 504”), Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (“ADA”), and the Age Discrimination Act of 1975 (“The Age Act”), applicants for admission and employment, students, parents, employees, sources of referral of applicants for admission and employment, and all unions or professional organizations holding collective bargaining or professional agreements with Mundo Verde PCS are hereby notified that Mundo Verde PCS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability in admission or access to, or treatment or employment in, its programs and activities.